It doesn’t feel like it’s been almost two whole months since my last post. Time has really flown lately. We’ve been busy with the glass business so any free time in the evening has been spent vegetating rather than doing constructive things. I have managed to make some things, though, so I thought I would share them with you.
These two hats are made with Red Heart Shimmer that was donated to me. They’ll go into the donation sack for next winter. The first one is the Copycat C.C. Beanie, and the other one is an Urban Jungle Crocheted Slouchy Beanie.
I also made a batch of neckwarmers with more of the donated yarn. There isn’t a pattern for them. I used a size 8 circular needle; cast on 96 stitches; work in K2, P2 ribbing until there’s only enough left to bind off; bind off in pattern. Super simple, and it let’s you use up all the yarn. This yarn is a sport weight yarn, but it seems more like a size 4 yarn. It’s Premier Yarn’s Deborah Norville Jeweltones.
Half a dozen baby hats are now added to my donation sack, too. The black one with the green elephants is the Marching Elephants design. The rest are just basic hats that I make without using any pattern, and the yarns are assorted leftovers from other projects.
I made a Fedora Crochet Sun Hat a few weeks ago. It’s an easy pattern to follow. I bought the kit from Lion Brand’s website. The yarn is a tape yarn. It was my first time using a yarn like that. It felt kinda strange running across my finger as I crocheted, but it has a nice feel to it.
The outside edge has a stainless steel cable crocheted into it to help it hold its shape. The very last round is a round of crab stitch. Instead of only doing the crab stitch in the last row, I decided to go completely around that row and stitch into the previous round. It felt like it made that last round really stand out like it should instead of being a wimpy little row.
I liked the finished hat so much I started another one. On the second hat, I decided to stagger my increases rather than stacking them. It makes the increases a little less obvious and makes the project have a more rounded shape.
My Beekeeper’s Quilt is mostly joined. I’ve knit about 350 or so puffs, and the blanket is about 3.5 feet square-ish. I’m going to have to knit a lot more of them to make it throw-sized. I’ll be making puffs when they roll me in for my own funeral.
I started another pair of socks so I’ll have more yarn to make more puffs. That’s part of what takes me so long. I’m trying to use leftover sock yarn. That means I must make socks to have leftovers. This pair will be for another of my brothers. I’ve got the yarn to make his wife a pair, too.
Also in the past couple of months, I made scrappy dishcloths. I laid out all my leftover small balls of cotton yarn. Then I started knitting. When I came to the end of one ball, I grabbed another and used both yarns for about 6 stitches then continued with the new ball. They’re a little strange but kind of pleasant in their color arrangements. Since I don’t like to throw away useful scraps, it was a great way to make something that is practical and doesn’t need to be pretty.
It’s almost time for my weekly knit night. I better get ready. Until next time (and it won’t be two months again), enjoy the beautiful spring weather!!